Friday, May 9, 2008

Guess I am not as "COOL" as I thought I was.....

So, this goes back to the post about me taking the kids to school on their bikes a few weeks ago....

Last time we road bikes, I was informed by our friend, Adam, the oldest of the kids that went that morning that sometime soon when he is a little older he can ride his bike to school by himself. He is in 3rd grade this year. We ran into a classmate of his at the bike rack and he looked a little embarrassed that there was a "mom" with him. So, I kinda jokingly said to him when we got home that next time I will just hide around the corner so not to make him look bad and give all the other kids the impression that he can do it all by himself.

So, Adam was in the lead this morning with our crew of 5 kids riding bikes to school this morning. He stops at our "shortcut" path and waits. I get to the front of the line and asked why he stopped. I asked if he wanted to take the long way around and he says no, that he likes the shortcut. So I say "Well, then lets get moving." But he just stayed there for a minute....looking like he needed to say something. So, I asked him what was up and to my shock (although I thought it was actually HILARIOUS) he says..."Are you going to hide like you said you would?".

Apparently someone didn't want to suffer the same embarrassment at the bike rack again. So, being a good mom, I road them up to the end of the path (still a good ways from school) so that no other kids would see that I actually road with them to school.

I just laughed about it almost all the way home. I really couldn't believe he actually asked me to do that! I will admit that it was a blow to my ego as well....I always thought I was the Cool Mom!

4 comments:

Chad and Tammy said...

That is hilarious! It sounds like something my kids would say.

julie said...

That is so embarrasing!!! Especially since it was my kid that said that!!!!!!! I'm glad that you thought it was cute. But it really does make me think about the teen years that are coming - I don't like to think that we will no longer be "cool" and that they won't want to be seen with their parents.

Melissa said...

That is so funny! I can totally see Adam saying that :)

Be the Good said...

OUCH