Tuesday, December 18, 2012

Getting to where we are now....Volume 5

I said previously that we chronicle Sadie's life from one miracle to another.  That is no lie or exaggeration.

What you should know, was that Sadie's biological mom learned of her hydrocephalus and at 34 weeks went in to have an abortion.  Despite being aborted, our God intervened and Sadie was born ALIVE!  We learned of this after we had received her referral and after we said yes.  To us, when we learned of this sad start to her life, we knew that God had a purpose for her being there and that just confirmed our decision to adopt Sadie.  Sadie's biological mom left her at the hospital and never looked back.

Read the previous post about Sadie's second miracle, Dr. Yaa.

If Sadie had this first seizure with us, in Ghana, the doctors are certain she would not have made it.  Just another miracle and also a demonstration of God's perfect timing of having her home.

Before bringing Sadie home, I had been working.  I worked 30 hours a week at a medical practice office close to my home.  This was a relatively new job that I took when offered simply because of the convenience of being so close to home.  Although I informed them when I was hired that we were adopting, I never felt that they were real supportive of this.  When Sadie was inpatient on this first time was at the same time I was suppose to return to work. Due to her new high level of care, I could not agree to coming back to my full 30 hour/week job nor could I return when I was scheduled.  Due to these reasons, my employer decided to not have me return to work.  This was 2 1/2 weeks before Christmas.  I was devastated.  Since high school I worked.  I love working.  I truly enjoy work...the challenge, the social, the feeling of being part of a team...all of it.  I also worked to help our family income. We committed to sending our kids to the Christian school and my income was a HUGE part in that.

So, Nick and I haven't slept in about 1 1/2 months, I feel like I have Post Traumatic Stress Disorder (no lie) from Sadie's seizure....how can I let her sleep without watching her every second for a seizure?  What if I miss that she is having one in bed?  The kids...oh my poor Ryleigh.  She loves Sadie SO SO much!  This was very hard on her...full of worry.  So, we now we are approaching Christmas and my identity has changed from being a working mom, to now being a stay at home mom with a special needs baby.  I have not gone shopping....because I didn't know how to with this baby hooked up to a feeding tube and even if I could, we had no money.  Our basement construction stopped and we felt like this was the bottom for us.  We were tired, confused, scared...you name it, we were feeling it.

That was the miracles and ch..ch...ch...changes.  Now for the ANGELS.

The support...oh the support.   Nick and I have always been the ones to jump in and try to help out others the best that we could.  I am a proud and independent person.  Asking for help is very much outside of my comfort zone and never did we want people to know that we were B.R.O.K.E.

Angels came in and FINISHED Ryleigh's bedroom downstairs so that Sadie could move into her own room!

Angels came and provided the carpet and installation in our basement!

Angels sent us anonymous gift cards to Family Fare in the mail...more than once which helped us with our groceries!

Angels paid for our kids to play little league last summer when it came to registration time!

Angels brought meals...and meals.. and meals...

Angels dropped off cash (literally) to our front door so that we could buy Christmas gifts for our kids!

Angels made some payments on our tuition's at Allendale Christian School!

Angels brought gas cards!

Angels came in the form of home made scones!  YUM!

Angels are giving Kobe piano lessons because he wanted so badly to take it!

Angels did my hair for free because the grey that was surfacing was abundant! ;)

Angels came and sat at the house so that Nick and I could grab a cup of coffee together!

An Angel came over very early in the morning and also very late at night when I would call about stuck feeding tube!

Angels filled my empty truck to the top with gas!

Angels sat with me at the hospital.

Angels helped me paint Sadie's bedroom.

Angels gave us a recliner to sleep in when Sadie isn't feeling well.

Angels introduced us to other family (now friends) with special needs kids!

An Angel came and stayed with Sadie in the hospital for a few hours so I could leave and go watch the kids' school Christmas Program!

Angels prayed.

Angels quietly listened and prayed while I wept.

Angels came in the form of kids from church clearing their grandpa's garden of rocks and then giving the money they earned to Sadie! 

Angels CARRIED us thru the last holiday season, as we could not carry ourselves.  We were overwhelmed and tired and scared.

We asked God how we would make things work with all of these unexpected changes and He answered us...abundantly...with ANGELS.

We could NEVER EVER begin to send enough or keep up with Thank you cards for all of blessings that carried us thru that difficult time.  It was humbling to say the least.  But watching God's people work...AMAZING.

Tomorrow....rough roads ahead...

No comments: